SAMA-nominated Singer-songwriter Jodi Jantjies has once again been recognized for musical excellence, this time by the Pretoria FM’s Aitsa Music Awards for Afrikaans musicians.
“The nomination means the world to me, it’s my third nomination for the year so it’s really amazing seeing the album do so well! Especially being credited with these prestigious awards”, says the 21-year-old singer from Cape Town.
Jantjies has been nominated in both the Newcomer of the Year and Gospel Song of the Year categories. “Gee my die Woorde is the first single off my debut album and it’s a collaborative project with Karen Zoid. It’s really humbling to know that someone like Karen who is a pioneer in the industry helped pave the way for me. Because of the collaboration, I’m nominated for Newcomer of the Year which is really special,” she said.
For Mitchell’s Plain-born Jodi Jantjies, life hasn’t always been easy. Growing up in a family of music, she has had to overcome the obstacle of stuttering, one minute she’s talking and the next her tongue is stuck to her palette. However, with singing, the words just came easy.
Singing in the choir of her mom’s church, along with her twin sister Jade, her musical talent is inspired by her brother Adrian who she views as her hero. Adrian is a professional singer who performs in hotels all across Spain.
Her big break was at the tender age of 16 in March 2016, when a once shy Jodi Jantjies auditioned at Cedar Secondary School in Mitchells Plain by singing a song she wrote herself in front of the ATKV-Crescendo Panel.
Her notable talents are her ability to sing in both English and Afrikaans, with her main focus being on growing her Afrikaans heritage and songwriting abilities. Jantjies has been part of the ATKV-Crescendo family ever since.
“It’s definitely a relief to know I’m on the right track and to know that my original music is getting genuine love, I didn’t have to be or sound like anyone else, the music is being beautifully received just for the way it is,” she said.
Living her lifelong dream of releasing her own music, Jantjies’ dream has become a reality with the release of her 10-track album titled, Woorde’ across all major digital platforms. Her confidence shows through her music, from a once shy and quiet young girl to a storyteller who has overcome so many obstacles in her life.
She has had audiences in awe during performances as part of the ATKV-Crescendo team, from
Aardklop to Suidoosterfees and the #OnseFees.
According to ATKV-Crescendo Project Organizer, Morne van Staden, they are delighted about the Aitsa Award nomination. “This is a first for Crescendo and a first for ATKV, and it brings us great joy to know that the efforts made by the project and of our artists to contribute positively to the Afrikaans music industry are being recognized.”
The Aitsa event will take place on November 29, 2022, at Choose Life Church in Pretoria with the public being invited to book their tickets through iTickets.co.za During the event, the winners in the respective categories will be announced and Riaan Benade, Elandré, Demi Lee Moore, Tarryn Lamb, and Dream Syndrome will entertain the audience and provide them with the perfect atmosphere to set off the evening in style.
To vote for Jodi in her respective categories, click here: https://www.pretoriafm.co.za/aitsa-toekennings/#0
MORE ABOUT JODI JANTJIES:
- On March 4, 2016, during auditions at Cedar Secondary School in Mitchells Plain, a very shy and quiet 16-year-old girl came to sing her own written song in front of the ATKV-Crescendo panel. Judges HemelBesem, Mynie Grové, Danie du Toit, and Anna Davel were bowled over. It was an immediate and definite “yes” from all four judges, and thus the story of Jodi Jantjies’ journey with ATKV-Crescendo was born.
- Jodi is certainly going to be someone people will be talking about in the future, not only for her journey in the SA music industry but more so for her talents. She sings both in Afrikaans and English, but for now, she’s more focused on growing her Afrikaans heritage and songwriting abilities.
- Now people get the opportunity to experience Jodi as a solo artist with her deep and soulful music and arrangements with influences of jazz, soul, alternative, and some Pentecostal musical vibes in the mix too.
Jodi Jantjies’ Social Media details:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jodi.jantjiesii
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jodijantjies/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/JodiJantjies1
Additional Music Links:
- Apple: https://music.apple.com/za/artist/jodi-jantjies/1527529048
- Lied van My Hart (music video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjrwTkbSc_g&feature=youtu.be
- Armageddon (music video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsoaxlmhm9A&feature=youtu.be
MORE ABOUT ATKV-CRESCENDO
ATKV-Crescendo is a development program aimed at equipping songwriters with expertise. The project also focuses on discovering new sounds in Afrikaans and all participants are encouraged to write and sing in their own dialect. Through this method, the project ensures that there is a constant flow of new talent, new songs, and new sounds in the Afrikaans music industry
Social Media info:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/atkvcrescendo